04 September 2007

Open Letter To The Man Upstairs

Dear Mr. Man Upstairs,

They (who?) say deaths come in three. Yesterday that's ALL I heard from news, ESPN, and people walking and talking! I do agree, it was a bizarre day to have Ingmar Bergman pass on, then we heard Tom Snyder died as well, then San Fran 49's coach Bill Walsh, who? Sorry if you like the grid iron!
Death come in threes? I guess you can say "There you go!", but for me, I felt like singing "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things..."

I even felt Tom Snyder didn't really belong in there. I don't think Criterion is picking up any Snyder episodes, unless he helped on commentary somewhere? No? Didn't think so!

Deaths come in threes?! I would like to think not in my eyes of deaths come in threes if they fit the same common bond? How does this death come in threes work? Do they need to be actors? Musicians? How do you work this!?! What if a politician dies, then a baseball legend, and famous talk show host dies? Does that work? I don't see it.

This morning I found out Michelangelo Antonioni has passed as well. Made the cult classic, 1966's Blow-Up and the last thing I do remember was him directing a decent segment to the multi-director project of segments in 2005 entitled Eros.

For me, I don't look too far into superstitions, but I do find it odd that deaths actually DO come in threes. But please....Blow-Up and Bergman's Persona both great films of '66, but what did 1966 films do to you, Mr. Man?!?!? Fred Zinnemann passed in 1997, and I don't know if From Here to Eternity or Oklahoma! make it to my Top 100 anytime soon. Why Zinnemann? Well he landed an Oscar in 1966 for Directing A Man for All Seasons. Hmmm...

Superstitions will end today for me. No more directors need to go anytime soon, please! Thank you for your time!

B.Quain

No comments: